Starting a business
Do you have a great business idea? Are you in the early stages of planning a new small business? If so, there’s a lot to learn before you begin.
Before you start
You can avoid common issues that may cost you time and money by doing your research and being prepared for the permit application process.
Key milestones for setting up a business include:
- developing a great business idea
- creating a business plan
- researching and budgeting
- choosing your location
- registering your business
- applying for permits
- opening your business
- With a strategic position mid-way between Sydney and Brisbane, excellent transport services, a reliable workforce, steady economic growth, a vibrant business community and affordable real estate, there’s never been a better time to consider working and investing in the Macleay. Read more in Macleay Valley Lifestyle – Invest in You(PDF, 2MB)
- Business Connect is a NSW Government program that provides personalised business advice to help you start, run, adapt or grow your small business.
Meet our local legends
Learn from the journeys of other business owners through our case studies and local legends.
Nancy Pattinson is the owner and creator of Indii Swimwear. Read more…
Rae Barnett is co-owner of Barnett’s Bakery at Crescent Head. Read more…
Peter Hitchens is co-owner of the South West Rocks Dive Centre. Read more…
Ben Marks operates the South Kempsey Corner Store and Café. Read more…
Sam Preston is co-owner of Bucket Brewery in South Kempsey. Read more…
Guido and Wendie
Guido and Wendie run Nulla Nulla Blacksmiths Farm at Bellbrook. Read more…
Ready to enquire?
Our Economic Development and Tourism team is available to provide advice and support for your business. We can provide up-front information, connect you with professional advice and assistance, and discuss the steps you’ll need to take to open your business.
We’ll also connect you to Council’s Development and Compliance team to ensure you apply for the right permits for your business.
Contact us on 02 6566 3200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org