Verge and Eden Streets Sporting Complex
Key improvements to be made under the Verge and Eden Street Sporting Complex Masterplan include:
- reconfiguration of existing fields, including new turf wicket for cricket
- refurbishment of the existing grandstand
- provision of three grass surface netball courts and 10 hard surface courts
- new purpose-built clubhouse incorporating amenities and change rooms
- new lighting to competition standard on all fields, netball courts and ancillary areas
- recreation facilities, including perimeter running path and fitness stations
- field irrigation, drainage and resurfacing
- expansion of car parking
The project will be completed in a phased roll-out, designed in part to accommodate ongoing usage, with projected final completion in 2021.
- Turf works are now complete.
- Groundworks have been completed, including laser levelling the soccer and cricket field using 1500m3 of soil and turf underlay.
- We have installed four exercise stations designed by local exercise physiologists for people of all ages and abilities.
- A small realignment of the fence at Verge 1 Oval allows the site to be fully accessible.
- Work on the lighting footings and cabling began in April, with poles to be erected in July. There will be no impact on users during the works.
- Work on the lighting for the netball courts will begin after the 2021 netball season.
- The irrigation tender has been released. Works are expected to commence in August.
- Concept designs for both the netball and multipurpose pavilions.
- Carpark construction, including Verge Lane, Vincent Street and Verge Street.
- Construction of the running track, which will include a 2.4m crushed and compacted gravel surface suitable for wheelchair access.
For the latest updates, see Kempsey Shire Council's Weekly Works Schedule
Council has secured a $10 million NSW Government grant for the Verge and Eden Street Sporting Complex, to create better sporting facilities and a capacity to host larger events. The successful grant application was accepted at the February 2020 Council meeting.
At the June 2019 Council meeting, Council resolved to adopt the Verge and Eden Street Sporting Complex Masterplan, which reflected the needs and actions outlined in the Macleay Valley Sports Strategy, adopted by Council in June 2017. The Sports Strategy recommended a masterplan for the site to guide its development as the premier sports facility in the local government area and to address current utilisation issues.
The masterplan makes many recommendations to improve the facilities and outlines a strategic approach to the prioritisation of sport and recreation across the existing complex based on consultation with sports user groups and an analysis of current and future trends in sport.
Verge and Eden Streets, Kempsey 2440 View Map