Kempsey Shire Council response to the coronavirus
Updated 21 July 2021
This page provides the Kempsey Shire community with information about coronavirus (COVID-19). For the latest COVID-19 updates, alerts and resources, please visit the NSW Health website
July 2021 update
On 26 June 2021, in response to fresh coronavirus outbreaks, the NSW Government introduced new restrictions in regional areas. These restrictions apply to Kempsey Shire and include the following:
- Visitors to households will be limited to 5 guests – including children;
- Masks will be compulsory in all indoor non-residential settings, including workplaces, and at organised outdoor events;
- Drinking while standing at indoor venues will not be allowed;
- Singing by audiences at indoor shows or by congregants at indoor places of worship will not be allowed;
- Dancing will not be allowed at indoor hospitality venues or nightclubs;
- Dancing will be allowed at weddings, but only for the wedding party (no more than 20 people);
- Dance and gym classes limited to 20 per class (masks must be worn);
- The one person per four square metre rule will be re-introduced for all indoor and outdoor settings, including weddings and funerals;
- Outdoor seated events will be limited to 50% seated capacity.
See NSW Health Public Health Orders and Restrictions
Impact on Council services and events
Council is making every effort to maintain its usual services in line with NSW Public Health Orders. However, some services and events have been affected.
Customer Service staff are available on 6566 3200
during normal business hours.
Customer Service is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10:00am to 4:30pm. You will need to wear a mask and check in using a QR code.
The Customer Service team operates a mobile outreach service every Wednesday. The upcoming dates and locations are:
- 21 July - Gladstone
- 28 July - Stuarts Point
- 4 August - Willawarrin
- 11 August - South West Rocks
Visitor Information Centres
The Visitor Information Centre at Kempsey is open from 10am to 3pm, 7 days a week. You will need to wear a mask and check in using a QR code.
The South West Rocks Visitor Information Centre will be closed until 31 July 2021.
In line with advice from NSW Health, scheduled Community Catchups have been postponed.
All of Council's community engagement events have been postponed.
Council meetings and public forums
For Council meeting information, see Ordinary meeting dates, agendas and minutes
Kempsey Shire Libraries
Kempsey, Stuarts Point and South West Rocks libraries are open for all services subject to some restrictions. The Hat Head branch remains closed.
You will need to wear a mask and check in using a QR code. Restrictions include limitations on the number of people inside at once and time limits on some services.
Library use is subject to strict enforcement of public health guidelines, including social distancing and public hygiene. The opening hours are:
- Kempsey: 10am-5.30pm Monday to Friday and 9am-noon Saturday
- South West Rocks: 10am-5pm (closed 1-2pm) Tuesday to Thursday and 9am-noon Saturday
- Stuarts Point: 10am-5pm (closed 1-2pm) Tuesday and Thursday and 9am-noon Saturday
For more information, visit the library website
- The Community Recycling Centre trailer that visits towns and villages around the shire will resume its normal schedule from the week of Monday 5 July. See Waste & recycling centres for the current schedule.
- Regular household three-bin kerbside collections continue as normal.
- The Waste Management Centre on Crescent Head Road and the Waste Transfer Stations in South West Rocks, Stuarts Point and Bellbrook are operating as normal.
- The ReUse shop at the Waste Management Centre is open.
- No cash payments are being taken at waste management facilities. Zero-touch options such as tap-to-pay must be used.
- Customers must stay in their vehicles at the weighbridge and abide by public health protocols, including social distancing at all other times.
Slim Dusty Centre
The Slim Dusty Centre will reopen on Tuesday 20 July with reduced operating hours as follows:
- Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 2pm
- Sunday and Monday, closed
You wil need to wear a mask and check in using a QR code.
Connecting our community
Council has developed a page to connect services, groups, businesses and community members to the right information and link you to available supports.
On the Connecting our community through COVID-19 page you can share your story of your coronavirus experience, read up on local projects that support the community, take our Business Impact Survey, or browse links to great online events, webinars, exercise classes and creative workshops.
Support for business
For information on how Council can support your business, see Support for your business during COVID-19
In 2020, the NSW Government postponed the local government election due to be held in September 2020 for 12 months. The election will now be held in September 2021. Kempsey Shire Council’s current Mayor and Councillors will continue to hold their civic offices until this time.
More coronavirus information
For the latest information on coronavirus, visit: